Friday, March 9, 2012

A walk in the sun

Walking to my rat line on such a beautiful day was great for the soul. It's so uplifting to watch the sunlight dancing on the leaves and listen to the shrieks of kaka, the melodious notes of the songbirds and the lapping of the waves. It's not easy to capture it on camera but here's a few shots...

Light falling on fern fronds

Hen and Chickens fern

Fruit of Pate (Five Finger)

The tide was in at Deep Bay but there was enough room for 4 ducks to sunbathe on the tide debris.


Deep Bay picnic table - a great place to stop awhile and admire the view



My rat line starts at Deep Bay, runs around the above headland and round the other side before heading over the top and back to the start. Rat numbers have been high lately so we are checking the traps twice a week in the hope to keep on top of the surge. The tally for yesterday was 6 rats - 2 kiore and 4 ships rats including this huge female...

Female ship rat - the knife alongside is 22cm long

Lovely soft belly fur but somehow I don't think rat/merino product
would sell that well!

I couldn't resist a few pics of the village as I walked home but I'll put them in one final (for now) blog!