Friday, March 23, 2012

Horseshoe Point Track

Whilst the North Island has been battered by high winds and heavy rain, we've been experiencing gorgeous weather - sunny, warm and calm. Much too nice to stay at home on my day off (16 March) and we chose the Horseshoe Point Track, stopping off at Dead Man Bay for a picnic lunch. The track is administered by the Southland District Council and it's one track that dogs can be walked round so we could take Mac as well.

Horseshoe Point Track and walk home
We started at the north end of the track in perfect conditions and walked out to the point where there is a trig. I'd kept my camera in my bag but the views were so stunning I had to grab a few quick picks then run to catch up with the others.


The water was crystal clear and a wide range of different blue/green tones. There is a lot of bull kelp around the shoreline and no doubt fish and seals around too if you just want to sit and watch. The track is undulating with a few steepish bits; after an hour's walk or so you come out on Dead Man Beach.

Dead Man Beach

Dead Man Beach

Mac amongst the bull kelp on Dead Man Beach
The southern part of the track is mostly through the bush with glimpses of ocean. I'll put the fungus and orchid pics in my next blog and keep to just the landscape shots here.



The house at the end of Braggs Bay Road - this is where I started
work on the Weeds Team eradicating Darwin's Barberry

Sarah Cove - looking the other way from the above photo
Bragg Bay

One end of the Horseshoe Point Track
It's about a 40 minute walk home from this sign but I detoured and went to Moturau Moana Gardens on the way - I'll put it in my next blog!