Friday, March 23, 2012

Sunset, Sunrise

The day length is shortening considerably now with the bonus of being awake to see the sun set and rise again over this special island. Solar flare activity on the sun indicated that there could be good sightings of the Southern Lights, Aurora Australis, too. The sunset had a slight greenish tinge on 8 March so I went out with my camera, had just turned it on and, on cue, a kiwi pair started duetting about 50m away. I pressed Record and caught the audio. I've amplified it and saved it as a MP3 file but can't find a way to insert this in my blog! Will stick to some pics instead...

Sunset 8 March 2012
Sunrise 10 March 2012
Sunrise over Halfmoon Bay 10 March 2012
Of course I don't have my camera with me on the most stunning days!! I did take it on 13 March for the start of the Round NZ Third Leg to Napier, though had to be back at work by 2pm when the boats were waved across the line. Here they are 10 mins before the start:


It didn't take long for them to reach Napier and they have now set out on the Fourth and final leg to Auckland. Here's the provisional results from Leg 3 taken from www.ssanz.co.nz