Thursday, August 20, 2015

Weekend work plan

One day of my weekend gone already but I'm well pleased with today's efforts - apart from clonking my shin when a log hit it; thank goodness for arnica cream!

The day was mostly fine and sunny with a few clouds rolling through and threatening rain which never got past a light sprinkling. After taking a look at the mud around the tyres I decided to spend the day on essential firewood duties. Despite a 4°C start it didn't take long to work up a sweat and reduce polar-fleece layers to one. I'm a tad light on super-dry wood but with chopping larger chunks into smaller bits it should dry out quicker - that's all in the right hand bay below. I had some long branches stored that were nice and dry so those got sawn up and added to the pile. I have plenty of kindling (middle bay) so will mix that with the bigger stuff and have my fingers crossed that there will be enough to last the rest of this year.


Lunchtime - finished the woodshed work, now on to the rimu

The rimu rounds that I carried out of the bush last weekend need to be chopped as soon as possible as they'll get harder when they dry out. A few hours with the axe was productive with perhaps 75% of the stack done. My little ngirungiru came close to getting clonked when he flew into view just as I chucked some wood on the pile. Luckily his reflexes were faster than mine but I was a lot more careful after that!

I'm a lumberjill???

The carpet works really well to stop the ground getting muddy

Next step is to dig out the middle bay of the garage so I can store this heap

Site supervisor, Mr Ngirungiru, doing health and safety checks
I watched George Clarke's 'Amazing Spaces' tonight and was very taken with a similar-sized house to my one here (49 sq m) but with a very different look. The eco-house is called the FiNCUBE and is a glass cube with timber slats - now wouldn't that look good tucked in the bush?