Saturday, August 8, 2015

Blog #300

When I started this blog I had no idea that I would reach 300 in such a short time. It's just over 4½ years since I moved here to live among the kiwi and to make a concerted effort to reduce my footprint on this wonderful planet. It's been great sharing my adventure and a big thank you to readers of this blog and for the comments and encouragement you have given.

The weather's been wetter for this week's break from work but whenever the sun shines between showers I've been out working on the tyre wall and sloshing in the mud. I've discovered why you're supposed to start at the lowest point and although my technique for using a string level was laughable, it seems to have done the trick so I could work from left to right - much easier to keep the digging level.

A rainbow to start the day

Starting at the left hand end and hoping that my string lines are correct
so the two ends match up properly

Lunchtime

Do they look level?

Late afternoon and working out levels for the next row

Time to clean up and cook dinner - lots of filling to do tomorrow
Digging in this soil is easy but a tad distressing as I disturb the native milk worms, Octochaetus multiporus, which then 'bleed' - initially white fluid which is sometimes followed by red. I love having the worms around as that's what brings the kiwi, so try not to dig into their homes. An interesting article on these worms can be found here.

Native milk worm, Octochaetus multiporus
A couple of other things caught my attention and made me peel off my muddy gloves to grab the camera...

Still trying to work this one out - she moved fast so hard to photograph

This fungi was much easier to snap - isn't it pretty?

Ranged in colour from white to salmon

Close-up - this will be one for NatureWatch