Friday, August 14, 2015

More kiwi

Another week of gorgeous weather with frosty mornings and stunning days; it's easy to see why I love winter down here. Rakiura/Stewart Island generally escapes the snow and extreme chills of the southern half of the South Island and has an average winter temperature of 9.9°C. I reckon it's a great time of year to visit despite some of the tourist businesses being closed.

One of the biggest advantages of this time of year is that you don't have to wait until 11pm for the kiwi to wake up. I was working 'lates' this week and try to rely on my night vision rather than a torch when walking home so I don't disturb the nightlife. Last Monday I was followed down my driveway by a kiwi - I heard the pitter-patter of kiwi feet when I stopped at the woodshed and then watched from the deck steps as it walked past. No doubt the excavations for the tyre wall are an attraction for a bird that loves worms!

A number of different-sized kiwi prints by the tyres
The tyre wall is progressing well; I spent yesterday filling tyres and am now ready to tackle the second layer. Today was firewood day as the neighbour returned to cut the rest of the felled rimu into rounds and I spent the day carrying the cut trunk and branches out of the stagnant pool, up the bank and stacking them up for chopping and trimming. Mark had made a floating 'bridge' from the branches so I could cross the water - of course it didn't take long to step into a gap and fill one gumboot up with muddy water, followed a couple of hours later by the other! Mr & Mrs Ngirungiru were there to enjoy the entertainment...

The male at top left and the female, in more muted
shades at bottom right

Who's the king of the castle? Ngirungiru on horoeka (lancewood)
I've still got the second tree to pick up and bring out of the bush so, weather permitting, will be back out there tomorrow - it would be great to clone myself a couple of times so I could get the wood cleared and the tyre wall built at the same time.

A bank-full of chainsawed rimu to clear

Branches across the pond

Tomorrow's work
Being outside means I notice more than when I'm inside; the beating of kereru (native pigeon) wings, the ducks flying swiftly from A to B - and watching a korimako (bellbird) visit a small divaricating Coprosma bush. I had a closer look after it flew away and discovered a number of green berries that the korimako was feeding on.

The small Coprosma bush

Close-up showing green berries
Another close-up was of a critter that was on a rimu log that was submerged in the water; I thought it was a tadpole at first but on closer inspection I think it's the larval form of a red damselfly.

About 15mm long - had a flattened end to its 'tail'

Underneath