Sunday, July 5, 2015

Second month of Winter

The hail/sleet is beating against the west side of the house for the last few hours of my long weekend. I was lucky to get some fine weather for the start of it otherwise I'd be feeling frustrated that I hadn't achieved more.

July started with a flurry of activity at work as Sam and Charlotte headed over to the mainland a month earlier than expected when their daughter, Esjay Bella, decided that it was time for a birthday. Congratulations to the new parents - and also to 4 Square who celebrated their 91st birthday on 4 July.


Starting my weekend with delivery of 20 bags of potting mix, a ute-load of pallets and a heap of tarpaulins meant that I had plenty to do. The woodboxes took priority and I've now got 5 areas to put the wood to dry although I may have to add more tarps if this horizontal rain doesn't let up!

Sides and a roof should give this woodbox more protection from the elements

Pallets are easy for me to manhandle and webbing straps are great for
joining them together
One of the logs I brought in for burning had some interesting fungi growing on it. I was trying to get some in-focus pics when I spotted a couple of small critters wandering among the fungi.

Grey-coloured collembola middle right - and a white one bottom left

Fluffy white fungi with yellow 'loops'

The white fungi looked like miniature cottonwool trees

Is it a bug? Is it a beetle? About 1.5mm long.

Fungi and critter
I'm dogsitting my friend's Cairn Terrier, Mac, for a week. I'm not quite sure what you do with dogs between walks and feeding times but so far Mac has been very well behaved and sleeps like a log through the night. I have a 7am start tomorrow so another friend has kindly taken Mac tonight and I'll catch up with him again after work.

Mac and Beau enjoying the sunshine after a walk