Saturday, September 27, 2014

Voting Day - part 2

My walk round Ryans Creek ended up at my friend's place for freshly-plunged coffee. Raylene owns Glendaruel, a wonderful Bed & Breakfast with a delightful garden and stunning views looking over the native bush canopy. There are always birds flitting around - kaka come down to feed or check out guests, tui and kereru perch in the fuchsia trees - you can feel the stresses of the world melt away as you sit and contemplate.

Kaka eating apple at Glendaruel
I bumped into Raylene on my second visit to the island in February 2010; our paths intersected as I hurried back to Bunkers Backpackers and whilst Raylene was out walking her new pup, MacPherson. In the space of 100m I discovered a kindred spirit and it was easy to accept her invitation of a glass of wine and to shelter at her home from the approaching rain. We talked non-stop until it was almost too dark to see my way back to Bunkers and I've made many a return visit. Raylene's support and friendship have been enormously helpful since that chance meeting and just a brief mention isn't enough so will blog more on the terrific trio of Glendaruel, Mac and Mac's Mum!

After coffee I wandered down the hill to Halfmoon Bay School to vote. This small school is extra-large on talent and last Thursday night a large audience was entertained by the school's presentation of an adaptation of Spike Milligan's 'BadJelly the Witch'. What a fun evening and full credit to the cast, band and production team for working their socks off - more in the next blog.

Voting to the left

Halfmoon Bay School's adventure playground
The 20 minute walk home from the school completed the round trip - I had to sneak in a couple of photos on the way...

Korimako (bellbird) on flowering wattle

More dewdrops on a tiny web