Thursday, September 11, 2014

A magnified world

One task I had when I was in New Plymouth was to find a good magnifying glass, or loupe, so I could see more detail of the intriguing litter critters. I wanted a decent quality lens, preferably with a light, but wasn't sure where to look. I asked at SpecSavers when I had my eye test, and also looked at craft shops and The Warehouse - nothing doing there except plastic ones with no light. There are plenty on TradeMe but they are hard to assess from a picture. A friend suggested Philatelic Distributors and I struck gold with a 20x pull out magnifier with an LED light.


I love getting close-ups of wee critters - it's opened a new world to me and given me an appreciation of Mother Nature's efficient recycling system; if only humans were as good! My camera is great; using macro mode and then zooming up on screen I get to see details that aren't apparent with my sight - it got me wondering if I could get even closer using both the camera and the loupe.

Here are some macro photos that I've taken recently...


This beetle was on the same tree with all the holes drilled in it - I wonder
if this is the adult?


A willing fly on a rhubarb leaf - it didn't budge an inch whilst I
manoeuvred to get as close as possible. It looks like a wee tick at the base
of its wing 


Native snails are hard to get in focus in close-ups because of their depth

A small huhu grub - its mouthparts are amazing
 



Yesterday I experimented taking a photo by holding the loupe up to the viewfinder of the camera. I found a willing spider and tried different methods - most of which needed four hands. The LED light on the loupe was a bit fierce at times and the photos aren't sharp enough to keep but thought I'd pop them up on the blog so I can see what progress I make over the next few months.

Spider - using just the macro function on the camera

Macro on camera plus light

Macro on camera plus light plus holding viewfinder up to loupe to magnify
the image. Note the blue colour aberration caused by the loupe.

Another spider that offered to pose - isn't he a cutie
YouTube has lots of videos with helpful hints on macro photography, including this one that shows you how to make your own LED ring light; this would give a more even light across the subject.

I have more photos for the next blog - I hope I'm not boring you :)