Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Voting Day - part 1

I woke early on Saturday and it was a stunning morning, much too nice to stay in bed. I had a quick breakfast and set off round the long way to the Bay via the Ryans Creek Track.

Ryans Creek Walk - home is under the last 'e' of You are here
There was a good frost and the temperature was 1.8°C when I set off at 7.15am; not a lot of birdsong in the 15 minute walk to the start of the track. The track runs parallel to the airstrip; the first bit is fairly flat through native bush then goes downhill to Ryans Creek and Paterson Inlet.

A frosty start as I walked to the road end on Main Road

The picnic table where the track meets Ryans Creek
There's a few places where you get river views - the tide was out so I walked along the shore for a bit, then climbed back up to the track. I found a sloping trunk smothered with the native orchid Earina mucronata - it's going to look (and smell) stunning in early October and I'll be going back to get some photos to share with you.

A glimpse of Paterson Inlet

Ryans Creek - early morning reflections

On the shoreline of Ryans Creek

Where Ryans Creek meets Paterson Inlet

Can you spot the orchid fronds?
Look in the middle of the photo just to the right of the ponga (tree fern).

The second part of the track winds around the coastline - every turn brings new views...






King Rimu towering over the canopy - what a beauty
I reached the road end at Thule at 9.45am; from there it's a scenic 20 minute walk along the road to Halfmoon Bay School where I cast my vote.

Road works - widening the road between Watercress and Thule
after erosion/slips a year or so ago
Fishing boat at Thule


Looking east from Watercress down Paterson Inlet