Saturday, April 12, 2014

Carpentry 101

The Outpost woodshed is full but I still have a pile of wood/kindling to get undercover. The dismantled hen house looks like it will do the job but I suffer from a lack of woodworking skills and confidence for starting something from scratch. There is space on the western side of the woodshed but that's also where the winds come from so it needs to be reasonably secure - and although I can bang nails in, I have no idea how to put a roof on that (a) will keep the rain out and (b) not become airborne in the first gust of wind!

Plan A: build a lean-to on the right hand side of the woodshed :)
My site prep consisted of levelling the ground and sorting out what parts of the hen house could be utilised. Not quite sure how I get the 'foundations' sorted but at least I have the side of the woodshed to nail into and an old pallet which can be the base for a while until it rots out.


These could be the sides
My initial plan for trying to follow the roof line of the woodshed came to grief with insufficient timber to brace the right hand side and an hour's hard work then took two hours to take down again. Plan B has a better feel and now I need to sort out the roof.

Plan B: better bracing for the entrance
I do have some roofing material but am worried that if it's not secured well enough then it will blow into the house so think I'll use a tarpaulin. I need to run some lengths of timber to support the tarp and then use some timber strips to sandwich the tarp and nail it in place. I'm only planning on putting kindling in the lean-to and not too concerned if it's not completely weather tight - maybe I'll leave it roof-less if I can't work out how to do it!!

We had a very successful Norsk Feiring last weekend and I took lots of photos on my boat trip up to Whalers Base - blogs to come shortly.