Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Blog catch up - part 1

So much is happening here that my photos soon overtake my spare time for blogging! I've had a lovely relaxing Easter; I finished Neal Asher's Jupiter War book, upgraded the Visitor Centre PC from WinXP to Win8.1, gathered in most of the insect trap containers that a university student installed over the summer and pottered around home. We had a mix of weather (ranging from roaring easterlies to stunning sunshine), heaps of visitors to the island and not waking to an alarm for 5 days in a row was the bee's knees!

Enough talking, on with some photos!!

Progress on the stormwater drains 19 April 2014

The finished lean-to - I decided that it was safer without
a roof and have just tied a tarp over the heap

Spot the two birds - answer below

A beaut pop-up card from England - I managed to source some of the
same range from iqtoys.co.nz - see this link
I walked down to the Bay on Easter Saturday morning and wondered what the large crowd was doing down on the beach. Of course, I'd forgotten about the Big Dig but was just in time to snap the start...

Getting ready

Line up! Big kids nearest me, littlies have their own patch alongside

Go!! Good prizes for those that found pink tags

The easterly storm had washed up heaps of seaweed - great for the garden
I've collected all but two of the insect traps and will post their contents back to the uni student next week. The traps were spread around Oban so I could enjoy the sunshine and get some exercise at the same time. I'd been sent the GPS co-ordinates for the traps so it was a bit like geo-caching (link opens in new window) where you use a GPS to seek hidden treasures.

Insect trap - I unscrewed the collecting jar at
the bottom and emptied its contents into
a labelled container
I walked home as the sun set and was fascinated by the long shadows of the gravel on the road. I looked behind me and my shadow looked like a stick figure!

Gravel shadows

The tallest stick figure ever!! It stretched from one road
marker to the next, about 15m

Two birds in the bush - a korimako on the left and a tui on the right