Monday, February 4, 2013

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

I've lived here for two years now and am still surprised at the exciting discoveries I found around me. Yesterday I chopped the wood that had been chainsawed a few weeks back; lo and behold these interesting 'things' popped up. I had to take photos - no wonder I take so long to do anything!




Top view of the one above
I'll have to put them up on NatureWatch.org.nz and get an ID on them - I've looked through all my books and come up blank.

These have been identified...

Prickly Shield Fern (Polystichum vestitum) sori on the underneath
of the frond

Longlegged harvestman (either Megalopsalis or Pantopsalis)

Gastrodia or Black Orchid (not that easy to see - it's the tall spiky thing!)

Close up of Gastrodia stem tip, soon to break out into yellow flowers
 
I have a million other photos, all of the weird and wonderful but they'll have to wait until I have more time. The rain has cleared and I have my rat traps to check :)