Monday, February 18, 2013

Kiwi alarm clock

Lovely to be woken up this morning by a male kiwi calling just outside my window; he got the time slightly early (5am) but I went back to sleep with a big smile on my face. Here's his footprints in my mud puddles.

Kiwi footprints 18 Feb 13


I've been working on my vege garden patch and getting ready for assembling my 'dog run' which is my variation on a tunnel house; I'm covering the outside with MicroClimate cloth which will let the rain in - I'll keep you posted on whether it does form its own micro-climate for growing.

Levelling the area for the dog run
To keep the possums and weka out, I've stapled wire netting under the garage...


Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft) brought his super-yacht, Octopus, down to the island last week. Wikipedia says that the yacht is the 13th largest in the world; it is 126m long and has 2 heli-decks. It's larger than some of the cruise ships that visit.

Super-yacht Octopus moored in a rough Paterson Inlet - the red water
taxi gives some idea of scale
Last but not least is a photo from last month when I walked home from Deep Bay in the moonlight. The camera was handheld and I was amazed how well my great little Sony camera performed.

Moonlight on Halfmoon Bay