Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NatureWatch.org.nz

This is an experiment to add a widget to link my observations on NatureWatch; apparently I copy and paste the text and voila...


That was easy!

I posted my first observation to NatureWatch this afternoon; it was easy to upload the photo and fill out the form and I ticked the box to get a definite identification. Great to get such a quick response and to confirm that it was a Garden Orbweb spider. It will make hunting out the small and fascinating even more interesting! I'll now have to find a photo of myself so that I don't look like Jacko, the toy monkey I had when I was young!

The NatureWatch website is a wee bit clunky but persevere with it and you will be rewarded with stunning photos and videos and a mine of information. Have a look at their Facebook page too at http://www.facebook.com/nzbrn

One of my favourite books to take in the bush is 'From Weta to Kauri - a guide to the New Zealand forest' by Janet Hunt and Rob Lucas. Its 192 pages are packed with most of the native flora and fauna that you are likely to see in the bush - insects, reptiles, birds, plants, vines, shrubs, trees, ferns, orchids and fungi. This would make a great starting point; the cheapest I've seen recently is on Fishpond (what a great website) for NZ$26.86 with free delivery http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/From-Weta-to-Kauri-Janet-Hunt-Rob-Lucas/9781869416553


I watched Campbell Live this evening that presented Gareth Morgan's take on a sinking lid policy for owning cats to give native birds a greater chance of survival. Before I did my environmental diploma I would have sided with the SPCA; sadly the truth is that our native birds need a huge boost to survive extinction and if this means being more responsible with pets, ie keeping them in at night, creating enclosed cat runs, putting double-bell collars on them, then is that such a big ask? I support  culling all feral cats but don't see how that can be effective unless greater controls are kept on domestic cats as well. What are your thoughts on this issue?