Sunday, September 2, 2012

Live life with your head in the clouds

Today's title is from the Cloud Appreciation Society, of which I am Member 1017. If you are bored of 'blue sky thinking' and want to get the most of watching clouds, then please check out their excellent website and consider joining. Another great place for cloud pics is the home page of www.metvuw.com; the best website for weather forecast charts.

Of course this introduction has to lead somewhere!! In the last week, I've been blessed with three weather-related treats and, thanks to my fab Sony Cybershot DSC-TX10 waterproof camera, I can share them with you.

Last Monday I had a meeting at 4.30pm and when I left work at 5:15pm it was raining slightly with this magnificent rainbow stretching over the DOC field centre...


The shower soon eased off and I walked up Main Road and at 5:30pm spotted the setting sun's rays shining upward...

Taken 5:30pm from Main Road by pine plantation - about 100m from
Back Road turnoff
Nice, but shame about the power lines. Three minutes later I turned into Back Road and was thrilled to see this spectacular 'spotlight' shooting out of the cloud. I continued taking photos for a minute during which the spotlight moved to the right. Wow!!

Bottom of Back Road 5:33pm


Taken at 5:34pm
 The following evening's sunset (Tues 28 Aug) had me running for my camera again to capture the scene and this unusual cloud bank to the left of the tall rimu...

6:13pm

6:16pm
I could so easily be a fulltime cloud-watcher - roll on retirement.