Sunday, September 16, 2012

Is this my house?

The painter has finished his part on the inside and what a transformation! It's up to me now to sand and undercoat the kitchen joinery and decide on a new colour. Choosing a new colour scheme is not my forte - my initial thought was to go for silver to tie in with the stove and curtains but perhaps a 'warm' colour would be better. Colour replication is far from perfect on my notebook screen so would appreciate any suggestions.

I've strung together a few before and after photos for you...





Having light-coloured walls (Resene Rice Cake) has made such a difference - the space feels bigger and I don't need the light on when the sun's not shining. On the downside, the carpet stains and wall imperfections are more noticeable!

I've decided to change the furniture around to see what works best and still have artwork to go back up on the wall but am reluctant to start making holes. I will use my large (1800 x 800) computer table as a dining table for a few weeks and was wondering if I could use one end for a drawer unit that can be used for pantry items - sort of like this idea but not quite as flash...


There are many inspirational websites for decorating/furnishing ideas; it's easy to spend far too many hours looking at them :). My life became quite spartan during the week that the painter was here as the tv, radio, table and chairs were packed away and everything was under drop cloths. I slept in the garage to escape the smell of paint and lived on vegetable soup that could be heated up on the fire. Well worth the disruption though and I'm thrilled with the end result.

The painter made a start on the outside before the weather packed up again and the new colour (Resene Stonewall) is looking promising and should look even better when the second coat goes on. Here's a sneak preview of Stonewall going over the blue...


It certainly blends in better with the bush backdrop and although it doesn't go perfectly with the blue/grey window frames, it doesn't clash either. Will see what it looks like after the first coat is completed and then decide if I stick with Stonewall or go slightly darker with Double Stonewall.

The day is going far too quickly and I need to clear around the outside of the garage before the painter comes back - time to go out and enjoy the sunshine.