Sunday, September 18, 2011

September Surprises

I had two big surprises on Thursday - in the morning I was asked if I'd like to go to Codfish Island (Whenua Hou) with the Weeds Team in early October. Would I what!!!! It will be magic to go back to the island that started off my dream to live amongst the bush and birdsong.

My second surprise came in the afternoon when I was offered the casual ranger position at the Visitors' Centre which I'd applied for. I start my training tomorrow and am looking forward to being shown the ropes by the friendly team that keep everything running so smoothly.

I am so lucky to be living my dream AND getting paid for it! My work with the Weeds Team and the Visitors' Centre is on a casual (as required) basis which suits me down to the ground; I'm certainly more productive when I know that I've got work coming up otherwise I tend to let the days slip by without achieving much more than a widening grin :).

My museum stint last weekend went fine; I spent most of the time having a good look round to familiarise myself with what was displayed. It's another must-see place for visitors interested in the history of the island. The proposed new museum would result in double the display space so that items currently in storage could also be on show.

Rakura Museum
I wrapped up the week with checking my rat lines and, as the sun was shining brightly, I took my camera along so I could share the experience with you!

Walk up Peterson's Hill Road, then through the bush walk...
...to Deep Bay (at low tide)
Trap 24 on DB1 line
Trap 27 on DB1 line

Trap 35 on DB1 line
View from the top at the end of DB1 line
The second line (DB2) runs from the top of the hill and back over the ridge to Deep Bay. There are 54 traps and a number of them needed to be rebaited as the bait was starting to go mouldy. Two rats were caught this time, both adult females, one a kiore and the other a ship's rat.

I went to Raylene's after checking the traps and just as well I had my camera with me as a tui visited one of her trees in blossom and was so focused on sipping nectar that he allowed me to get quite close. Patience is definitely a virtue though as most of my photos were blurred as he darted from one flower to the next but I was finally rewarded with this shot...

Kia ora manu