Friday, September 9, 2011

An Inconvenient Truth

I found my old 2006 diary this morning and had a peek to see what I was up to on this day. I was surprised that it's been 5 years since I first saw 'An Inconvenient Truth', the Oscar-winning documentary about climate change. I then got to thinking how the movie had altered my perspective and what changes I had made to my lifestyle since September 2006.

I can't find the online ecological footprint calculator that I used five years ago but after some radical changes to my lifestyle (bike rather than take the car, grow my own veges, eat less meat) I used the equivalent of 3.8 worlds - just under half the NZ average of 8 worlds per person.

Fast forward to September 2011. I completed the footprint calculator tonight at http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators/ - choose Australia as New Zealand isn't included yet. Moving to a smaller house and not having petrol-driven transport result in dropping my footprint to 2.3 - I can get it down to 1.9 if I eat less meat and only buy packaging that can be recycled. Of course, living on an island means higher transport costs but hopefully I'm using far less than before and the island is committed to recycling as much as possible. Besides, I can't feel smug until I have my footprint down to 1 world or less :)


I have my first roster stint for the museum tomorrow 12-1.30pm - I take the entry fee ($2 adults, 50c children, free for locals) and turn the lights on. It will be a good opportunity to learn the history of my new home. I'll do my rat lines afterwards, then come home for a hot shower - the novelty of having one still hasn't worn off!

The Rugby World Cup has kicked off with an impressive opening ceremony and game - well done All Blacks. Conservation Week is next week too - I hope it gets equal billing with the rugby!!