Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Orchid update

Spring is symbolic of new beginnings and every day I'm seeing evidence of this special season - the orange branches of the deciduous native tree fuchsia (kotukutuku) are now clothed in green leaves and flowers, the yellowhammer has started his repetitive 'a little bit of bread and no cheese' call and I've now found my first greenhood flower of the season.

Sun orchids (Thelymitra) reaching for the sky in early September

New spider orchid (Corybas) leaves

A clump of Pterostylis orchids on my boundary track including the first
flower of the season

Close-up of above - the flower's not quite open

The warmer temperatures are bringing some weird and wonderful fungi - I found this one on my walk home yesterday; when I looked closer today I found two more nearby. They are called 'brain fungi' or False morel, Gyromitra tasmanica.

Easy to see how they get the name 'brain fungi'

Taken 15 September

Taken 16 September - am I imagining it or is the stem redder?

A grey springtail (collembola) feeding on the surface of the false morel
More fungi along my drive

Native clematis climbing up a lancewood - the mature vines
will be flowering in the next month

Beautiful new growth colours