Sunday, May 10, 2015

Bokashi composting

I've been a raving fan of Bokashi composting for almost 10 years; I read about it when I was studying environmental papers and it resonated with me sufficiently for me to buy a kit and give it a go. Not only does it deal with organic waste (which shouldn't go into landfill) but it puts environmentally-friendly organisms back into the soil. It's easy to do, the organic material breaks down much faster than standard composting and I've had no problems with unpleasant smells or rats. In Taranaki's volcanic soil and warmer temperatures the Bokashi would turn into rich black soil within 3 weeks; down on Stewart Island with it's cold clay it takes over 3 months in summer so I've had to put my thinking cap on for better ways to dig it into the soil.

I won't go into details on how to make Bokashi as there are excellent videos and illustrations on the Bokashi website; essentially you first 'pickle' the organic waste (everything except for bones, fats/oils and liquids) and secondly you dig the pickled waste into the garden. My problem here is that it takes so long for the dug-in waste to break down that I run out of garden to dig it into. Just as well The Warehouse came up with this 3-bin composting system that's just perfect...


The rack was on special for $19 on Red Alert and is easy to assemble. I recommend that you tape the joins as the connection system is a bit flimsy. Instead of digging the pickled Bokashi into the garden I now add some soil to the bag and tip the Bokashi in with it. A good mix together and it's done - and next Spring I'll have great compost to grow plants in.

Pickled organic waste ready to dig in - the white stuff contains
environmentally-friendly organisms that break down organic matter

The Bokashi tipped in to the bag

Bokashi mixed with the soil

The finished bag containing 3 buckets of Bokashi
My feathered friend, the ngirungiru, kept checking on my progress - I think it got his approval!




Bokashi composting is practised widely in South Korea and Japan and I'd love it to become mainstream here. Burying organic waste in landfill produces large quantities of methane, plus your garden misses out on food for a host of organisms that feed on it. Healthy soil produces healthy plants that are more likely to withstand disease and attack by pests - and why buy in fertiliser when you can produce it yourself with very little effort.

If you are keen to learn more then check out Mr Bokashi's blog