Friday, May 22, 2015

Back in the 'Naki

The nice thing about being back in New Plymouth was being able to make a cuppa for my Mum - and to give her a break from cooking dinner, washing the dishes and making the bed. Our elders of excellence are often misplaced in our hectic lives and it was good to be able to 'mother' her for a few days.

I've lived on Rakiura for over four years and the difference between island and city living magnifies with each visit. I notice the rubbish and the traffic more and can't get over the huge choice that is offered in supermarkets and shopping malls. City dwellers seem busier, smile less and are more impatient - or is it just me changing???!

The Coastal Walkway in New Plymouth

Lovely Autumn colours at Te Henui Walkway
I was a couple of months too early to be able to go inside the new Len Lye Art Gallery - the outside looks amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing Lye's kinetic sculptures out on display. On the down side it was sad to see the Real Tart Community Art Gallery close its doors and hopefully the region's artists will find a new outlet to showcase their wares.

The new Len Lye Art Gallery - the White Hart Hotel is to the right

Another view of the gallery
I read that the New Plymouth Airport is also tagged for another upgrade - there was plenty of space when I caught my plane but I think it was after the morning rush!

Airspresso Café at the New Plymouth Airport

Farewell to the western suburbs of New Plymouth

Aren't clouds beautiful?