Saturday, April 4, 2015

Lift my eyes up to the skies

A brief total lunar eclipse is due to take place in a few hours but there's a thick layer of cloud that could well prevent me from seeing it. A week or so ago there was a burst of solar activity and aurora that could be seen from Stewart Island were predicted. I looked out several times over the next two nights but my views of the southern sky are blocked by next-door's eucalypts. Nicki Mora captured this amazing photo on 28 March - the shop where I work is on the right. I could subscribe to the Aurora Australis Forecast website but, with a 20 minute walk to see the southern sky, it might be easier to look at others' photos!

Sunrises are much easier to spot from home and this stunner, on 2 April, kept me looking skyward as I walked to work. The colours lost their intensity by the time I reached Halfmoon Bay and the sun hadn't quite cleared Ackers Point when it was time to start work. With the clocks going back an hour tonight I'll have lots more sunrises to watch on my way to work.



Back down to earth (but still using my eyes!) I spotted kiwi feathers out by my woodpile along with several kiwi footprints in the mud puddles on my driveway. Magic!

A kiwi feather caught on a branch

Close-up of the feather - more hair-like than other birds

Small kiwi prints in the mud puddle - thanks for visiting!

Easter Weekend is a busy one on the island and generally marks the transition from 'tourist season' to the 'shoulder season'. Weekend activities include a Fabric, Fibre and Fun exhibition put on by the Patchwork Group and Knit 'n' Natter; these wee knitted chickens with an Easter egg were for sale. There's also an exhibition of Margaret Fairhall's work - Margaret was our talented island artist who passed away last year. Other activities include an Easter egg hunt, the Easter Sunday Quiz held at the Community Centre instead of the pub, a cake stall with mussel kebabs and fritters.