Saturday, April 4, 2015

Fungi time

Autumn means fungi time; I haven't had as much spare time as last year but keep my camera at the ready to snap these amazing life-forms. Their abundance makes me realise how important they are to the cycle of life and when I retire I intend to study them in more detail - would be great to understand them better. In the meantime I'll just capture them in photos!

Entoloma hochstetteri, blue pinkgill - two of these were on
the back boundary in mid-March


 
Note the spiral twist to the top stem. Geoff Ridley's book, 'A Photographic Guide to Mushrooms and other fungi of New Zealand' has the following information...
"The blue pinkgill is common in lowland broadleaf conifer forest. Its striking colour has always drawn attention and it was one of the first species to be collected from New Zealand and is still the Holy Grail of beginners. It continues to draw attention and features on the NZ$50 note, to date the only banknote in the world to have featured a fungus."

A brown gill fungus with a stem ring - ? maybe a pleated cooper,
Descolea gunnii

What a delicate wee thing!




The light blobs on this dead rimu branch initially looked like leaves but
on closer inspection they are pretty wee gill fungi (see below)


This one may be a bolete as it didn't have gills (see below)


Pretty wee fungi amongst the filmy ferns

There's more than 20 gill fungi surrounding this stump (see two
pics below)



A quick update on the deer: they came back and pushed down my fence around the potatoes for a second feed - and also managed to reach the rhubarb growing by the garage. I've now put up a second fence and hung plastic bags on - I heard that a neighbour now has the dark-coated one in their freezer so am hoping that this is the pesky one that got my other rhubarb plants.

The pushed down fence and the culprits who chomped my potatoes

A bigger fence with plastic bags that flutter in the wind and scare the deer away