Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dry goods delivery day

Another lovely day on my island paradise; it's been a mixed bag of weather lately with showers, cloud and sunshine but today was all blue skies and hot temperatures. Great for the tourists and trampers. I got caught out on Monday when clear skies in the morning turned to persistent drizzle and at lunchtime I realised that I had left my raincoat and leggings at home - just as well Ship to Shore sells plastic ponchos for $4!

It's been a bit quieter in the shop this week but we're still having a lot of goods delivered. Today was dry goods day and I think I counted 11 pallets-worth of stock, along with a couple of ferry bins of bread and one of milk. It's all hands to the deck to unload the pallet before the forklift brings the next one from the ferry terminal; when everything's been unloaded we open up the boxes and re-stock the shelves and put any excess in the storeroom. Some boxes have yellow stickers on and these are a mixed lot of goods so it's a bit like opening a Christmas present to see what's inside - a few boxes of herbs and spices, two garlic crushers, some tins of tuna and some maple syrup! The mountain of toilet paper/paper towels by the freezer needs to be stacked up high so need to grab the ladder and hoist them up out of the way. Eventually everything is neat and orderly and the shelves are well-stocked for a wee while!

The ferry terminal - some ferry bins are over by the building

Looking back toward the village from the wharf - Ship to Shore is
out of the picture to the right
Autumn is fungi time and I saw a couple as I checked my rat traps at the weekend...






It will also be blackberry time though not for a few weeks by the look of these fruit...


My intention to cut out all the weeds as they flower has not eventuated and even the gorse and broom are getting away on me. I've stacked some of the wood in the woodshed but there's plenty more to go and now the grass needs cutting again - I've put in a request for a fine weekend so fingers crossed!