Thursday, August 14, 2014

What on earth...??

I'm accumulating lots of photos of weird and wonderful things but, despite poring over books and websites, I'm no nearer identifying them - so I'll throw them open to you in the hope that we can learn together.

This caught my eye - it was on some rotting wood and I thought that
it was eggs of some kind 

Zooming up made them less egg-like but definite structures of some kind

This long skinny thing didn't move so I'm leaning toward it being a seedhead

Unusual fungi growing on the side of a rimu log

A white grub feeding on very soggy rotten wood

A sprouted seed perhaps?

A see-through grub of some kind

Another grub with red innards

Close-up of above

A native slug?


A wormy-looking 'thing'

The 'worm' when it unravelled

Some brown fungi - but what's that on the right? See bigger pic below


It moved so I guess it's a mite of some kind