Saturday, August 9, 2014

Snow time

Rolling fronts have been the headline act this week and the unstable weather has brought gale-force winds, thunderstorms, cool temperatures and some heavy showers. Yesterday morning had a different 'feel' about it though and when I peeked outside at 6.30am I could see white glistening back. Bright stars twinkled above and a female kiwi called from next door, her hoarse call muffled somewhat by the snow.

 
I was expecting the steps to be slippery but the snow on them was soft, unlike this morning when they are smooth sheets of ice and too dangerous to descend.


The icing on the cake was the snow falling as I left for work - it only lasted until I was halfway down the Back Road hill but what a way to start the day!

Looking back down my driveway at 7.30am

Snowy roads at the Airport Road and Main Road corner

A snowy Rakiura National Park Visitor Centre
We may have had snow in Oban but it was pretty light compared to the mainland and the sunshine between the hail showers brought the temperature up to a balmy 12°C. The winds have brought down several small branches that I've gathered as I've walked home and the rough weather usually means more ratties in the traps.

Crown ferns with a dollop of snow in their centres

An adult male ship rat - great to have him removed from the gene pool