Sunday, July 13, 2014

Surprises to celebrate 200 blogs

I'm the guardian of a 1.05ha section, averaging the width of a rugby field and half as long again. The front half is in scrubby wetland (blackberry, bracken, reeds) and the rear half is in regenerating native bush. There's a boundary track around the bush and I walk it most days to check the rat traps so you'd think I'd know most things by now! Not a chance!! I dedicate my 200th blog to the small wonders of our beautiful native flora and fauna :)




What looked like a clump of sooty mould now has 'spots'

Close-up shots show these trunk-like structures
Grain-shaped 'things' growing on dead and living leaves but only in a
localised patch

Close-up of above
Magical water droplets seemingly suspended in space

A fuzzy pic of the spider creating these

?Pseudopanax crassifolium trunk with lots
of freshly excavated holes

What's making them?


One of the holes had these 'worms' writhing about - did they make the holes?
Spot the fuzzy springtail (Collembola) at top right
What's this? I think it's fungal and the wavy bits are hyphae??
Look carefully towards top right - I think this is another
 Collembola or springtail
I have my very own kiwi that comes out during the day!