Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Overnighter in Invercargill

The longer I'm on the island the harder it is to fit into 'normal' city life - the noise of traffic, the hustle and bustle and resisting the urge to wave at every vehicle that comes along. To make sure I don't forget how to 'behave' completely, it's good to get a taste for big city living every now and then. Last week I flew to Invercargill and managed to fit in a haircut and dental check-up before heading into work for a meeting with my boss for the rest of the afternoon. The following day we had our admin team meeting - the first I've been to since November last year - then a quick walk back to the airport for my trip home.

Nice and calm for my flight off-island last Tuesday

Invercargill Apartment Hotel - good value for $65 per night winter rate

Compact bathroom - but how do you stop the water
spraying everywhere when you're having a shower?

Another calm flight back to the island on Wednesday

Almost home

A lovely double rainbow over Oban village
There was time to do a bit of shopping - some things are just too hard to buy online. I called in to Kathmandu to look at daypacks to replace my red Kathmandu one - it's done a mountain of hard work over the last 6 years with almost daily use. It's hard to get a feel for size and weight from an online picture so it was great to check out the range instore. I ended up with a new Kathmandu Altai 50L women's pack - unfortunately only one choice of colour (bright blue) - but it has all the right things in the right place and it's lightweight at only 1.35kg. It's slightly bigger than my red one so it should work for multi-day tramps if I'm careful what I pack. I'll let you know how it handles my next big grocery shop!
Buy Altai Women Pack v2 Aqua online at Kathmandu