Monday, June 16, 2014

Winter warmers

The days are short and the sky is generally grey but there's still plenty going on to warm the heart. Winter is soup and woodburner time - it might be cool outside but definitely warm and cosy inside. It's dark when I walk to work so I have to wait until lunchtime to check out the driveway to see who visited overnight. There's usually whitetail deer prints but every now and then the kiwi visit...

Gumboot and kiwi prints

A very welcome visit from a kiwi family
I bought a Goodnature possum trap 20 months ago but it hadn't caught any possums. An expert was in at work and suggested moving the trap to a smaller tree and putting it down lower, but at least 70cm above the ground to protect kiwi. He also swapped my trap for a later version and I installed it on another totara not far from the first. Just a few weeks later and I got my first kill - a good-sized male that is now buried deep under my new rhubarb seedlings.

My Goodnature possum trap had its first catch

One possum down, 30-50 million to go
I was out walking at dusk last Wednesday; there was a stiff easterly blowing, the almost-full moon was rising over Foveaux Strait and hints of glowing skies.

Moon rising over South Sea Hotel


Seaweed-covered Halfmoon Bay

Colourful dinghies on Halfmoon Bay

Looking west over the township

Looking NE over stormy seas at Ringaringa Beach
The exhilarating walk was well worth it with a yummy dinner and a most enjoyable viewing of Despicable Me 2 in 3D; I've missed out on most of the animated movies and can see that I have a lot of catching up to do. I walked home in the moonlight, no torch required. What a neat way to spend an evening!