Monday, June 16, 2014

More fungi

I'm considering moving some rat traps. I rarely catch rats on the back half of the bush section so thinking of bringing those traps nearer the house. The tally so far this month is 10, significantly more than the 9 for all of May, 8 in April and a total of 8 for January to March combined. If I move the traps then it spoils previous statistics but I guess it's much better to get the rats!

There's always fungi to look at - some stay for ages but others are there one day and gone the next. I thought this bell-shaped fungi would be easier to narrow down but so far the only one I've found with the right shape is only found in beech forests (no beech forests on Rakiura).



Decaying fungi after a few days

I know I've shown this type before but it's such a delicate wee
thing that it's worth showing again

Close-up of the concave cap

Side view of the pretty fungi below

Another one I can't identify!! Time to go back to my books...
It was a stunning day last Thursday and I spent most of the afternoon wandering through the bush and looking for weeds.

The Cladonia floerkana is still looking great



What wonderful diversity - at least 10 different species in this wee patch

The sun shining through a large miro canopy