Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Weather matters

We've had a great spell of weather for the last three weeks with calm, sunny weather during the day and enough moisture at night to keep everything green. This pretty island sparkles like a jewel in the sunshine and visitors and residents alike have good reason to smile at their good fortune in being here. It's also the reason my blogs have been few and far between lately as I've been outside catching up on jobs that need to be done before the winter.

It's also been a good month for looking skyward; there's been some interesting cloud formations, a full moon and with the sun now rising just before 8am, I get treated to some colourful sunrises on the way to work.


Dark and light cloud 11 Mar 14 at 7.33pm
Full moon at sunrise 18 March 7.40am

Mackerel cloud 22 March 2014 8.30am
On Thursday 13 March the early morning sky glowed orange and I grabbed the camera but was disappointed that only the purple and pinks were picked up by it. My disappointment turned to glee as I set off for work 10 minutes later and captured a double-rainbow stretching over the front of my section.

Sunrise 13 March 2014 7.22am

10 minutes later

Where do I start digging?
A few days' later the sunset was another stunner - one translation of Rakiura means 'Land of Glowing Skies' and it's easy to see why as these skies were definitely aglow. I was watching 3 whitetail deer graze just off the deck and didn't want to disturb them so this shot was taken out the window with the 'glow' reflecting off the window and house. The camera doesn't pick up all the colours or the intensity - guess you'll just have to come down and experience it for yourself!

17 March 2014 8.08pm