Thursday, March 27, 2014

Firewood critters

One of the perks of being hands-on with my firewood is seeing the weird and wonderful critters that grow in or on dead wood. I keep my camera close by as it's neat to share my discoveries with you - apologies for some of the tiny ones, they don't keep still long enough to get a crisp photo!

Not sure if this is a puffball - another one for NatureWatch.org.nz

This was growing on rotten wood and it had a number of different critters
on it, as well as small red fungi

Can you see the small critter to the left of the yellow blob?

Chrysalis

There were thousands of grass grubs in the rotting eucalypt leaves
as well as small grey moths and brown chrysalis cases

A mixture of critters - top left is the same as the critter in the 3rd photo,
a hairy version at bottom right; another grass grub...

A large beetle snug in its burrow

Not sure if this is the same type of beetle as above

A flatworm

Yellow fungus
It must be autumn as the fungi are starting to appear - there are some small bright orange ones on my boundary track and several brown fungi. I'm checking for robins at the weekend and will keep my eyes open for other bush critters at the same time.