Sunday, November 10, 2013

Vege garden update

It's all go in the vege garden despite some wintry weather. I'm thrilled to be picking silverbeet again and although the courgette seeds didn't sprout, everything else has been a success. The photos were taken on 6 November.

The Warehouse had some good gardening specials and I bought a couple of different garden 'cages' to keep the birds (and other pests) off my young seedlings. I've set up the cloche one but the larger cage needs some thought over where it will go. Maybe I'll have to do the tyre retaining wall first but it could be a while as I'm still waiting for the tyres to arrive.

Cloche-type cover with bird netting on the raised bed. The rhubarb
has put on a growth spurt and the white currants in the
foreground are flowering profusely

Inside the shade house are silverbeet, broccoli, beetroot and potatoes

The potato plants are growing higher and higher!
A kiwi has been visiting lately but it's a bit worrying to find prints like this on my driveway...

Kiwi and small dog footprints on the same night
The prints were 10-15m from the road so the dog must have been off the lead; I haven't seen any small dogs being walked around here but there are plenty of big dogs. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled - it only takes one loose dog to wipe out the kiwi in the area.

The orchids are growing well with most of the tutukiwi (greenhood orchids) out in flower - I'll pop up some photos in the next week or two. Here's a bank of Thelymitra (sun orchids) - they'll look stunning once out in flower.

A mass of Thelymitra (the green spikes) growing on the bank at the side of the road