Monday, November 25, 2013

A great re-covery

I bought my computer chair in the late 90s and it's been sat upon for thousands of hours. Although it's still very serviceable, it was looking shabbier by the day, not helped by the wet sponge-clean I gave it which only made it worse. In the end I decided that it would be better to re-cover the chair and bought some material in Spotlight when I was last in Invercargill.

A comfortable but tired computer chair
I had hoped for some material with a bit of colour but could only find light colours so chose a chocolate brown weave instead, hoping that the texture would make it less boring. A few hours, and several used staples later, I had a new chair!

Brand new again!
I bought enough material to re-cover the dining chairs as well - one down, 3 more to go.

The dining chairs are shaped so need a central seam down the middle
My wee whare turned into a bakery a couple of weeks ago as I made 4 batches of beer bread rolls and some fruit loaves for an Island cake stall to raise money for the Philippine relief effort. The bread rolls had olives and sun-dried tomato and I experimented with spreading Pam's basil pesto on the rolls before I put them in the oven. It worked a treat and added that extra something both in looks and taste. The generosity of locals and visitors helped raise $1000 in less than 2 hours.

Setting up the cake stall down at the village noticeboard
I tidied up the area by the water tank a week ago when I needed to move two large blue pots so I could cut the grass. The area was covered in rubble so I added some compost and weed mat, then put the pots on top. I had a couple of mussel buoy 'ends' and decided to rest those on the blue pots to grow some mesclun in although they might be a tad tempting for any deer walking past!

The new garden patch by the watertank

My 'Taranaki' gate to keep the critters out