Sunday, October 13, 2013

Vege update

The cold spell last week didn't slow the growth of the vege plants probably because I still have most of them either under plastic or in the greenhouse. They are bigger each time I look at them, see how they have grown in the last three weeks. The potatoes are also growing well and the new seeds have sprouted and will be ready for transplanting in a week or so.

Transplanted silverbeet seedlings. I bought these tree protector sleeves off
this TradeMe link - 25 of them for $12.90 + $5 postage (opens in new window)

Compare this photo with this one taken 22 September (scroll down). The
plants under the green plastic sleeves were taken from the front rows in
the September photo to give the others more space.

There's a large crop of fungi in one silverbeet bag - I was hoping that it might
be an edible one but NatureWatch guru, Clive, identified it as a Peziza spp
Check it out here (opens in new window)
A wee dandelion flowerhead stopped me in my tracks the other day - it looked so pretty with the heavy dew/slight frost glistening in the sunshine. I managed to fit in some photos before carrying on to work.





Further to yesterday's blog on Save the Kiwi Week, I will soon be the proud owner of this Pauline Morse limited-edition print of the Stewart Island Southern Tokoeka - there are three different prints of her kiwi paintings for the fundraiser, check them out this TradeMe link.


Last but definitely not least - consider buying Lorde's album, Pure Heroine. It's so far removed from bubblegum pop that just plays in the background; she's got a delightful voice with interesting music and poetic lyrics. I'm surprised how often the tunes pop into my head but then read this Stuff article this morning that explains why. My only criticism of the album is that it finishes too soon!! What an amazing talent.