Sunday, September 15, 2013

Trip to Alexandra

My new team is based around the bottom of the South Island and our first team meeting was held last week in Alexandra. For most of them it was a day's outing but for me it meant 2 nights in Invercargill, 7 hours of travelling and 9½ hours overtime - all for a 4 hour meeting! On the plus side I used some time in lieu to get a haircut and fulfil my shopping list; but the 'memorable' flight off the island, coupled with feeling carsick most of the way to Alexandra has me questioning whether I really want to travel anywhere again!! I now know what it feels like to be a bucking bronco on a rollercoaster inside a washing machine but all credit to the skilled pilots of Stewart Island Flights for delivering us safe and shaken to t'other side :)

I was looking forward to the trip to Alexandra as it's been over 20 years since I last travelled in the area. Unfortunately my body was not ready to be mobile again and the 2½ hour drive wasn't enjoyable. Lovely to meet my new team-mates though and I was right as rain after sitting still for a couple of hours. Going through the new structure administration roles made me realise how different my role is from the others though; no doubt my role will become apparent as time goes on. I was dreading the drive back but sitting in the front in a different car made all the difference and views of the countryside were stunning.

Sunrise in Invercargill from my hotel room - the following morning was 2°C
with slushy snow on the roads and heaped up against the buildings

Gore

Specially for my lovely Sis-in-law

Teviot - Central Otago, last stop before Alexandra
The distinctive bridge at Alexandra

DOC office at Alexandra

The view from the office door

Great views of the lakes on the trip back to Invercargill

More great views

Apple orchard out of Alex

Thursday's flight back to Stewart Island, fresh snow on
Hananui/Mt Anglem (to the right)
Back to normality now in my wee cottage rather than an over-heated hotel room, listening to birdsong rather than traffic noise and a welcome return for my brain and stomach to walking pace. How I've changed in the last few years!!