Sunday, September 15, 2013

Other residents at Back Road

I'm behind with blogging again but there's a good reason for it - 3 more garden areas finished, firewood cut and stacked and two nights off-island to meet my new administration team. With the America's Cup race 9 being abandoned I'll be able to put up a couple of new blogs this morning - go Emirates Team New Zealand tomorrow!!

The vege garden area is a step closer to completion, with the added bonus of having an area (see pics below) to plant the currant bushes - probably short term if they grow large but they had well outgrown the pots that they were 'struck' in.



Two more small garden beds were finished, one adjacent to the compost bin and the other between the path and the house. I transplanted parsley seedlings into one and they looked great for a couple of days, then the Phantom Parsley Picker struck and I'm left with nibbled stalks. I've put some makeshift fencing up so it will deter weka and deer but if it's a flying phantom like kaka then I might need to drape bird netting over. Just another challenge to successful vege gardening here.

Whilst barrowing compost and firewood I came across several critters that I share my living space with.

?Grass grub and unidentified eggs

Close up of caterpillar



A terrestrial version of sand hoppers??

A spider's nest perhaps?

A mass of critters on rotting wood

A baby worm??
This fungi on rotting wood doesn't have legs so is easier to photograph...



The critters aren't just out during the day, here's a couple of night ones...


Golden orb spider repairing its web