Saturday, June 15, 2013

Close up and personal

My last blog had only been up a few hours when I received the sad news that my lovely Mum-in-law had passed away. I'm very grateful that I had been able to spend time with her earlier in the month and am comforted by so many treasured memories. The Rakiura Weather Gods put on a stunning display of rainbows that day, stretching across the village with deep, intense colours sparkling in the sunshine and reminding me that I was not alone. Ten days later, the New Plymouth Weather Gods did their part too with the funeral being held on a beautiful sunny day with Mt Taranaki standing clear and proud with his new coat of snow. It was harder leaving family and friends this time and I very much appreciate their support and love whilst I was there.

My Mum-in-law loved hearing about the rats I caught and which birds had been singing the loudest. Today I spent an hour in the ngahere, just looking and listening - great for the soul and quite a revelation to see the tiny things that aren't apparent when walking quickly. Firstly, there's the berries...





Miro berries and leaves on the forest floor
and this wee seedling that is growing on a large tree stump - I've christened it 'Optimism'...


Kingdom Fungi pop up in all sorts of places - can you see the white ones on this trunk?

Here it is up close
More fungi in the next blog! I'll finish off with two of the rats that were caught on Thursday - the bigger one is a Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus), the smaller a Ship rat (Rattus rattus) and the gumboot is a women's size 5! It's a shame I had already thrown away the small Polynesian rat or kiore (Rattus exulans) as it would have been great to photograph all 3 together.