Saturday, June 22, 2013

Beginner's luck

The March issue of New Zealand Lifestyle Block had a focaccia bread recipe which sounded easy enough for me. I've made bread in a breadmaker before but am a newbie with making it from scratch. I was enthused enough to buy some yeast and put it in the pantry. With a memory like mine it was a surprise to discover the yeast again last week (best by date already expired) and thought I'd better try the recipe!

I didn't have a lot of 'High Grade' flour so decided to halve the quantities but those calculations must have used up all my brain cells as I was busy kneading the dough before I realised that I hadn't added the oil. No wonder it was hard adding all the flour. I drizzled the oil over the dough as I kneaded and kept my fingers crossed that it would work. The dough seemed to rise fine over the next 1½ hours, then got punched down and split into 5 rolls. Another wee rising time, then into the oven - mine only has fanbake so I dropped the temperature to about 180°C and baked them for 20 minutes.

Here's the results...

Fresh out of the oven

Looks like bread!!
I was thrilled with the results and keen to make it again. Fancy bread is one of the things I miss here so if I can perfect making these then I have a good party trick. The full recipe (1 large loaf or 10 rolls) is below...

FOCACCIA BREAD
1 tsp honey or sugar
2 cups lukewarm water
4 tsp dried yeast
5 cups of flour (wholemeal, white or mixed) - I used Pams high grade flour
1 tsp salt (can be left out or reduced if you want)
¼ cup olive oil (I used extra light but may try ordinary next time)

1.       Combine honey/sugar with the warm water and sprinkle the yeast on top

2.       Leave 5-10 minutes until the yeast froths

3.       Mix 3 cups of flour (sifted) with the salt in a large bowl

4.       Add the yeast mixture and the olive oil and beat well for about 3 minutes, then gradually add the remaining sifted flour

5.       Knead the dough on a floured board for about 10 minutes until it is silky, springy and elastic

6.       Lightly oil the bowl and leave the dough in it, covered with a cloth dampened with warm water, in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about 1½ hours)

7.       Knock it back using your fist and roughly shape it into rounds, loaves or rolls

8.       You can use the tips of your fingers to dimple the top of the focaccia (make identations). Drizzle with olive oil, turning the pan carefully to allow the olive oil to soak into the identations

9.       Sprinkle sea salt and the herbs and toppings of your choice, eg chopped rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage, sun-dried tomatoes, olives

10.   Place it on an oiled oven tray or round cake pan, cover with the re-dampened cloth, and leave for 30 minutes in your warm place to rise again

11.   Preheat the oven to 200°C and bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on the size of the loaf) until crisp and lightly brown

12.   Remove from the oven and serve warm
 
I cooked mine on fanbake at 180°C for 20 minutes


Tips for making great focaccia
·         Use a round cake pan

·         Allow dough to rise in the tin it will be baked in (which keeps air in the dough) – prob doesn’t apply if making rolls

·         Pour a 3-6mm layer of olive oil in the base of the pan (this gives flavour, moistness and crunch) – I drizzled a bit of oil in the tray but nothing like 3mm

·         Topping ideas: Mozzarella cheese, garlic, tomato and fresh basil

·         Finely chopped thyme, sage, rosemary and oregano can be brushed on top or included in the loaf – or you could add seeds: cardamom, sesame, caraway

 
Garlic and parsley focaccia bread – a great way to freshen up a day-old focaccia loaf
I focaccia loaf
100g butter, at room temperature
4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
4 Tbsp of either curled or Italian flat parsley, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

1.       Preheat oven to 180°C

2.       Cut the focaccia bread into 2cm thick slices and place on an oven tray

3.       Beat together the other ingredients in a bowl until well combined

4.       Liberally coat one side of the bread with the butter mixture

5.       Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden

6.       Devour as soon as cool enough to handle!

Recipe courtesy of New Zealand Lifestyle Block magazine, March 2013