Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Travel time

My annual visit to Taranaki went by in a blur; lovely to catch up with family and friends and to experience a very different way of life. It took me longer this time to get used to the traffic, the rushing about and not waving at every car that passed. It was neat to get back on my pushbike, experience west coast beaches and to relearn how to shop! Many thanks to everyone for making my visit fun.
View from Jen's front door

Two blue penguins on the foreshore by Gusto's
Puffball fungi in Pukekura Park

Close-up of puffball
The fountain lake at Pukekura Park taken from the Japanese Gardens
 
Michael Smither's 'Aotearoa' long white cloud sculpture in Brooklands Park
see http://www.artisgallery.biz/news_story.asp?id=6
It was lovely to wander through Pukekura/Brooklands Park again. A lot of southerners down here haven't visited New Plymouth but those that have are quick to say what a stunning park it is and how lucky the residents are to have it.
 

Pukeko feeding in lake at Brooklands Park

Dusk at Brooklands Bowl

Border Collie pup at Pukekura Park Kiosk
I also visited the Fernery in the park but will do that as a separate blog. Other highlights included a day of shopping in the rain, having Thai Green Curry at Stumble Inn (very yummy), seeing my Mums and finding an outfit to wear at next year's wedding - not quite as comfortable as polar fleece and gumboots!!

Almost home
I'm now back at my island home and rediscovering the pleasures of a slower-paced life and checking rat traps. Back to work tomorrow and winter just around the corner :)