Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pukekura Park Fernery

It's been a few years since I went to the Pukekura Park Fernery so it was lovely to revisit it on my recent trip back to New Plymouth. The curved brick walls are a new addition since I last visited - does anyone know if they are fernery extensions or staff areas?

The series of 'rooms' range from cool at the bottom to tropical at the top. Even in May there are plenty of flowers and it's well worth spending a couple of hours having a good look round.

Pukekura Park Fernery - definitely a must-see if you visit New Plymouth
The fish pond at the top of the fernery
I don't know my exotic plants but if anyone can identify these then let me know and I'll change the captions.
 
Blue flowers from a purple 'spike' - is this a bromeliad??


Lovely orchids, some very fragrant


 

Close-up of an orchid flower

Fuchsia - what a pretty ballerina


Purple orchid flowers