Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Cloudspotting

As Member No. 1017 of The Cloud Appreciation Society, I have a responsibility to gaze long and often at the sky! Blue skies are fine for a while but cloudy ones are heaps more interesting. If you like clouds then check out http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/ (go on, sign up!!) and NZ's own http://www.metvuw.com/index.php

We get some fabulous cloud formations on the island - my favourite at the moment are lenticular clouds that look like alien motherships come to check out our planet. Last Monday (29 August) I was walking home around 4.15pm via Hicks Road and there was a stunning cloud covering most of the northwestern sky and looking similar to an enormous tornado. I didn't have my camera with me and the view from home, whilst still impressive, didn't have the impact as that from Hicks Road which showed lighter lenticular-shaped clouds and 'falling debris' within the dark mass.


The cloud remained in place until dark only changing when some holes appeared with the sun's rays shining through.



There were a few spots of rain after I got home but certainly not the downpour I was expecting from such a dark cloud. Magical!

TV1 news that night did mention interesting clouds over Wellington and said that they were caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere so that might be the explanation for this cloud. Whatever it was, it's made me aware that I need to carry my camera at all times!

Are there any other cloud-lovers out there?