Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Highs and lows

The last nine days have swung from a high (a surprise phone call on Monday) to a low with the devastation of the Christchurch earthquake; then back to a high with the arrival of my first 'Naki visitor. I feel guilty for enjoying it so much down here when so many Canterbury people are suffering. Please help wherever you can and give freely with your time and thoughts for all those affected.

My surprise phone call was from Wendy, a wonderful friend from North Taranaki. I ran out of time to visit her before I left and it was fabulous to have a chat. She then sprung the news that she had a few days up her sleeve and could she come and visit me at the end of the week. What a buzz - and also a bit of a scramble to clear up the garage so she had a place to sleep! I came down with a big thud on Tuesday afternoon with the news of the quake and was very relieved when I heard from both my sons to say that they were safe and well. I'd been walking and eating in the CBD in mid-January and knew how busy the area was at that time of day. So sad for the gorgeous city and her people - but  I know they will rise again from adversity and forge even stronger community bonds. After two days of being glued to the TV, I realised that the media coverage made it worse. They focused on the doom and gloom, they brought the worst hit buildings right into my living room and I felt helpless. In the end I turned the TV off, the radio on and finally managed to get through to the Red Cross donation website. Good to see more focus now on the suburbs and good Samaritan stories to boost spirits and provide hope for the future. Kia kaha Christchurch.

Wendy arrived on Friday afternoon and has left this morning. We have walked for miles, talked long into the night and I have loved showing her my new home town. We met on a kiwi release mission about five years ago and clicked immediately - not only do we share the same name but our birthdays are only one day apart.

We went over to Ulva Island on Sunday and had fun trying to photograph the tieke (saddleback). They'd stand dead still in front of us until we turned on our cameras; then they'd flit off and I'd swear that they were laughing!

From left: me, Raylene, Wendy and Jayne

Raylene took us further afield in her car with Jayne, a guest from Sheffield who was staying at Glendaruel, Raylene's fabulous Bed and Breakfast. We are standing under the symbolic 'anchor chain' that goes into the sea at Lee Bay with its counterpart coming up out of the ocean at Bluff. I must admit that I'm a tad puzzled how Maui's anchor chain just happens to be made out of steel links! The 'ding' above Raylene's head was apparently caused by someone who felt insulted by the steel links and protested by shooting the one above the path. We had fun with the self-timer on the camera - we were too far away to hear the click so stood grinning like Cheshire cats for a while afterwards!

My wee friendly ngirungiru (tomtit, or miromiro as he's called in the North Island) kept a close eye on us over the weekend. He sits on the chair outside the ranchslider and peeks inside to see what I'm up to. I haven't heard any more kiwi but there's lots of deer tracks on my driveway.

I'd better put my 'work' hat on and start the Women in Action Taranaki newsletter. Best wishes to all those in Christchurch or who have family there - I now have a spare bed if anyone wants to chill out in an idyllic place.