Thursday, March 31, 2011

Goodbye to another month

Summer came back to Rakiura this week with a high of 23 degrees yesterday and although a front passed through quickly this afternoon, the temperature is still mild. I've had a most enjoyable week in the sunshine with Tuesday being an extra-special day after I was invited to help with a titi (muttonbird) survey down on Ackers Point. We used a 'burrowscope' - a roll of flexible tubing with a camera on the end that was pushed down into the burrow and with a screen at the other end to see if a chick was present. No doubt the chick was surprised to have his cosy home invaded by something resembling a vacuum cleaner hose! I didn't take my camera so no photos this time sorry - I didn't know anything about titi before Tuesday so great to learn from the expert, Darren Scott. 

Wednesday started with an early morning walk to the Bay to farewell a friend leaving on the 8am plane - I left home in the dark at 7.15am and took some photos as the sun rose over Halfmoon Bay. I then took Raylene's dog, MacPherson, for a walk to Golden Bay - he loves digging in the sand.


The kaka are still around in large numbers - Raylene puts fruit or nuts out for them and they entertain her guests with their antics. The 'baby' kaka are bigger than their parents but still beg for food. This one is enjoying a slice of pear.

My four rat traps arrived in the mail and have been set up around the house. They are Nooski traps, designed and built in New Zealand and use a latex ring (like those used for docking lambs' tails) instead of a 'squish' mechanism. The rat tries to get to the bait, triggers the mechanism and the ring snaps around their neck killing them quickly. They have rave reviews from users so thought I'd give them a try.

Today I walked to the Native Plant nursery on Horseshoe Bay Road - I took the quarry shortcut there and then walked home via the Back Road track. Here's some photos...

Top quarry looking southwest
Top quarry road looking east to Horseshoe Bay

Back Road track back home