Sunday, June 28, 2015

Plan B

Well, I didn't see that coming! After posting the last blog I headed outside; the wind had dropped a bit but I was totally taken by surprise when the rain pelted down. Hmmm. I spent the next half an hour cowering in the woodshed before heading back into the warmth of the woodburner. Unlike me the little ngirungiru seemed unperturbed by the weather and danced around me as I broke up kindling - have humankind just got soft as it's progressed from cave man to couch potato?

Plan B is to post another blog and hopefully by the time I've finished, our changeable weather will have turned back to dry and breezy. I have bait to change on the rat traps and had another woodpile that I wanted to process and get under cover. If it's still wet and windy then I'll make some focaccia bread and prepare dinners for the next three days when I'm working 'lates'.

Last Tuesday's weather was very different; a huge frost to start the day and I left home early so I could get some photos down on the waterfront. The mud puddles on the drive were covered with a thick slab of ice and there were some icy patches on the tar seal further down the road. It was low tide at Halfmoon Bay and the red seaweed was white with frost.

Frosty morning 23 June 2015 

Close-up of frosty seaweed
The prettiest part of the morning was watching the sun rise over the Bay with water vapour creating mist as the sun's rays lit up the water.

Sunrise over the ferry terminal

Smoky water around the boats on Halfmoon Bay
The cool start gave way to a beautiful sunny morning so warm that we had to open the doors to the shop. Even this wee fungi seemed to lift its head up to the sunshine...




I can see blue patches out one window and dark grey clouds out the other. Will keep my fingers crossed for getting my traps rebaited in the dry and leave you with yesterday's work on my new woodboxes.

The heap of branches now sawn up but where to put the overflow now that
the woodbox is full

Solution: build a new woodbox!