Saturday, June 13, 2015

Gorgeous Goo

The woodpiles are treasure troves packed full of interesting 'stuff' and sometimes I spend more time taking photos than doing work. Slime moulds and lichens come in lots of different shapes and colours and often there are critters feeding on them. Here are some photos of things that took my fancy...
 
 
 




Spot the 'wrigglers' swimming in the primeval soup

This one looks like a small Christmas pudding

Multi-coloured tree round

Close-up of above

Purple goo with close-ups below



More 'wrigglers' on gooey gum branches



A white mite

Is this a newly-hatched mosquito?

Close-up of a brown and white wriggler

Lots of life amongst the white fungi

Slime mould on gum branch

Close-up of white slime mould

Orange critters
 With so many critters around it's no wonder that many birds are interested in the woodpile. The two piwakawaka (fantails) are a joy to watch as they perform their aerial ballet. A beautifully-speckled thrush and two blackbirds are often around as well as the ngirungiru who often flies within a couple of inches of where I'm working. I also came across this wee chappie as I got near the bottom of one pile of wood...

Can you spot it?

The introduced Whistling frog, Litoria ewingii



The cooler temperatures mean less fungi on the forest floor but I've found a number of colonies of Snowy porebracket, Gloeoporus phlebophorus, their bright white colour standing out in the gloom. The following pics have the porebracket on one side of a dead trunk and a green fungi with a similar shape on the other side. Will have to search online for more information.




Finally a lacy wee moth on the Mikroclima cloth had me scratching my head for an identification. I posted it on NatureWatch as it had similarities to the Australian moth Uraba lugens, Gum-leaf Skeletoniser which is a notifiable organism. I only took a couple of photos and am kicking myself that I didn't study it in more detail - it would make it a lot easier to identify!