Thursday, January 7, 2016

Summer hibernation

Winter is usually the time for hibernation but my computer isn't getting a lot of use this summer! It's been five weeks since I last blogged as there's so much going on that even the long daylight hours aren't enough to squeeze in blog-time.

Conserving the non-replaceable battery on my new phone (ie not using it as a wifi hotspot) has its disadvantages. After replying to emails and doing essential updates it's time to shut down again. It's made me realise how computer use has changed in the last decade; once there was a time I could be very productive when offline but it's quite a challenge now getting around online data storage, clipart, help topics and blogging. Many thanks for your patience in waiting for me and I know I'll crack a happy medium once I've got time to suss it out!

Rakiura is in full swing of tourist season; lots of visitors, thriving businesses and increased ferry and flight schedules. The cold weather has given way to more settled, sunny weather - some locals will be hoping for rain to fill up water tanks depleted by extra visitors. Our temperate rainforest is looking very dry with filmy ferns tightly scrunched up and turning black.

Oban Cemetery looking out over Mill Creek

Beau playing on Deep Bay at low tide

View from Paterson Hill Road looking over Halfmoon Bay
The fine weather has coaxed the sun orchid flowers to open - not quite fully yet but I reckon the next hot day will do it. I'll do the orchid photos in my next blog.

A juvenile black-backed gull guarding the ambulance

A female putangitangi (Paradise shelduck) grazing on Halfmoon Bay

Putangitangi are my favourite ducks - unusual to see the female
without her mate though
Cruise ship season started on 2 January; it's quite strange to see such large boats moored in Paterson Inlet or off Halfmoon Bay.

The Silver Discoverer moored off Halfmoon Bay on 2 Jan

A perfect day for the cruise ship visitors

Looking down on Halfmoon Bay

Sunny day at home as another Stewart Island Flights plane
heads to the airstrip