Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Turning the tide on yellow

I must have been looking at my section with rose-tinted glasses as I've totally ignored the sea of yellow that is flooding the front part of the property. Flowering gorse and broom, along with rampant blackberry and the odd Darwin's barberry bush make for a colourful but noxious problem that I couldn't shut my eyes to any longer.

Yellow waves of gorse and broom creeping towards the house

Flowering gorse that's higher than me

Yellow on the driveway as well

Flowering and early fruits on Darwin's barberry

The boat's being swallowed up by gorse
Armed with a Silky saw and secateurs I headed into the wilderness toward the colour yellow. The blackberry grows over the top of the bracken and if you duck down then you can see kiwi-sized tunnels underneath. I'm seeing a lot of kiwi sign around and I was tempted to use them as an excuse not to get rid of the blackberry!

Tunnels under the bracken

A wall of blackberry rising over my head

Looking north across the swamp - spot the yellow!

Clearing the yellow from the driveway
There might be less yellow but the grass didn't get cut and I'm no further on with the tyre wall. Maybe next weekend...