Friday, September 25, 2015

Early daylight saving

I start work at 7am on Monday which could be a shock to the system if I put my clock forward on Saturday night. For the last couple of years I've started daylight saving a day earlier than everyone else but never two days like this year. I just need to keep away from my computer and television schedule until Sunday morning.

A few greenhood orchids have made an appearance at last but they have a way to catch up with some spider orchids which are in full flower.

Emerging Pterostylis (Greenhood orchid) - 20 September 2015

Flowering spider orchid
It's coming up to barberry hunt time; Darwin's barberry was brought to the island by the early settlers but I'm sure they didn't realise how quickly it would become a weed that threatened our native bush. The birds love the berries but then spread the plant throughout the bush where it is flourishing in a wide variety of environments - sunny, shady, wet, dry. In some places it grows so densely that all native growth is suppressed. The Department of Conservation advertises each Spring for temporary field workers to form a barberry team with a long-term aim to eradicate the weed on the island. I've been checking out my section and found a number of small seedlings; it's much easier to spot when it flowers but hopefully I haven't got any plants big enough for that.

The tui are getting more active - here are some feeding on a pussy willow tree down in Halfmoon Bay...




...and a few interesting things that I've come across as I've checked my traps.

Slime mould on tree stump


A fly feeding on slime - I wonder if it hatched out of the cases below